Since the start of November, Hitwise has been tracking the hottest online branded product and toy searches to get an early read on what this season’s must-have items will be. With Thanksgiving now only a few days away, we’re ready for prime time and we have a pretty good idea of what gifts will be top on America’s shopping list this upcoming Black Friday.
Here are the most popular product searches ranked over the last four weeks
Here’s a summary of what I predict are going to be this season’s products to beat:
1. Hatchimals: The Furby-like animatronic toy that hatches from an egg came out of nowhere this year claimed the top spot booting Fitbit from what was looking like a firm position in first place. But with searches for “Hatchimals in stock” already featuring prominently, inventory issues may limit the number of weeks this toy will remain number one.
2. Fitbit: Last year’s top hot product every week of the season is in second place heading into Peak Week and facing stiff competition from above (Hatchimals) and below (the Nintendo NES Classic). That said, the Fitbit has weathered the arrival of the smartwatch era including what looked like a serious threat last year from the Apple Watch and is looking at what is likely going to be another solid season.
3. Nintendo NES Classic Edition: With PlayStation and Xbox releasing relatively minor updates to their consoles that are now three years old, Nintendo is going old school with the release of a miniature version of the NES. A week after the product launched, six of the week’s top 10 product searches were focused on the Nintendo throwback. It’s settled into third place heading into Peak Week and at just $60, it’s likely to prove a hot item for the remainder of the season.
4. Perennial favorites: Bose, Yankee Candle and LEGO are three products that have routinely ranked among the top 10 this season. The fact that they come back year after year is another sign that they’re likely to hang around for the rest of 2016 as well.
5. Nerf Gun: A few weeks ago, I might have said that Magic Tracks or Power Wheels would be among the toys to beat this season, but with both dropping in our weekly ranker, they seem to be fading when they should be on the rise. Nerf guns, meantime, are peaking at just the right moment. While they’ve been around for years, somehow Hasbro manages to make the Nerf gun new and exciting every holiday and this year looks to be no exception.